About Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC)
Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) represents Traditional Owners from the Brataualung, Brayakaulung, Brabralung, Krauatungalung and Tatungalung family clans, who were recognised in the Native Title Consent Determination, made under the new Traditional Owner Settlement Act 2010, the first such agreement under that Act.
Is the Prescribed Body Corporate (PBC) for the Gunaikurnai people and claim area, as outlined in the agreement, providing joint management of 10 parks and reserves within the State.
Is the Registered Aboriginal Party for the Gunaikurnai claim area, as decided by the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council under the Aboriginal Heritage Act, 2006.
Has a membership of more than 600 Traditional Owners, all of whom have proven their ancestral links to one of 25 Apical Ancestors registered in the Native Title Consent Determination.
Role of Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC)
The role of the Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Corporation (GLaWAC) is to further the aspirations of the Gunaikurnai Traditional Owners and Native Title Holders through the implementation of the Gunaikurnai native title settlement agreements and the provision of high quality policy advice; to provide strategic leadership by developing and leading key initiatives; and to continuously improve the capacity, integrity and independence of the Gunaikurnai.
It works under the guidance of the Board of Directors and Elders Council to represent all Gunaikurnai people in native title, cultural heritage, land, water and natural resource management and related employment aspirations and issues.
Gunaikurnai – United, Proud and Strong
One Mob, One Voice
- Gunaikurnai Elders and Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) have built a solid foundation for all our business and Gunaikurnai people.
- Our Elders are guiding all we do and are strongly connected to our young as we build for the future.
- We are self-sufficient and highly respected by our young, and the broader community for our knowledge and achievements.
- We are actively protecting our culture, lands and waters, and bring strength, knowledge, skills and innovation to that role.
- We have supported our people to build stronger connections to their culture and Country, and to build healthy and independent lives.
Our Values – R.E.S.P.E.C.T
We respect our Elders, past and present, and the journey they have travelled to bring justice today.
We encourage and value leadership by example, creativity and new ideas.
We serve the good of all Gunaikurnai people.
We are persistent in our journey towards self-determination and social justice.
We listen to understand all views before judgement and decision-making.
We demonstrate courage and integrity in all we do.
We encourage and value teamwork